Friday, January 16, 2009

The Blind Shall See

As I was walking to class this morning, I noticed a young man trying to find his way across campus. He was blind. I watched as he used his cane to guide him away from the snowbank on the edge of the sidewalk. This is not an unusual occurrence on campus, as there are a few blind people I have noticed from day to day. This particular young man, though, seemed to be new. I felt a pang of sorrow for him as he asked a nearby voice where he was and where the student center was. I can't imagine going through life without being able to see where I was or the beauty that surrounds me everyday. This is one of the greatest reminders I have the God truly does love me. He sends amazing sunsets and sunrises to cheer me when life's colors are dull. He sends sparkling snow to distract me from the cares of the world. In the spring, He reminds me of the new life available to me through His atonement. In the fall, He changes the colors of the leaves to paint a beautiful picture on the mountainside. He sends rainbows and clouds with silver lining. He gave me sight to see the smiles on the faces of those I reach out to. He lets me see the pain and hurt in those I can help and the loneliness in the faces of those I can befriend. He has given me the privilege of being able to see the magnificence of the temple and the majestic mountains. I am so grateful that I am able to see the world, especially from behind the lens of my camera. I can't wait for the day when the darkness will be removed from the eyes of this young man and so many others like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment