Monday, January 5, 2009

Humility

This post is a bit different in that it is more humorous, but I had to tell my embarrassing first day of school story.

School started once again and I found myself trekking through the snow, across the slick ice on campus. Careful to keep my feet firmly underneath me, I walked from building to building. I slid a couple times, but I was able to keep upright. I was feeling pretty good about myself and my ice "skating" abilities, having made it safely from one side of campus to the other in less than ten minutes. I walked inside the building and started down the stairs when I realized my feet were no longer firmly underneath me. I can only assume the stairs were wet, because I slid the rest of the way down the stairs on my back. As it was, my pride was hurt enough without onlookers, but that apparently wasn't the plan. I had such perfect timing that it put me exactly between classes when everyone was out in the hallway. I really thought I felt okay afterwards, so I brushed it off and told all the guys I was fine. When I got to work, I realized I was going to feel it for awhile. I have bruises.

I guess this is the part where I add a moral... First, railings are there for a reason. Second, there will always be a large group of guys when something embarrassing is about to happen. Really though, to take it for what it's worth, we need to remember that the obvious dangers aren't necessarily the ones we need to watch for. I was aware of the ice outside, thus I was able to prevent an embarrassing outdoor display. It wasn't until I was inside, where I thought I was safe, that I slipped up. Pride is the first thing you notice damaged, but if you look deep enough, you will probably realize that wasn't the only damage done.

No comments:

Post a Comment