Saturday, December 27, 2008

Become as a little child

Riding home with my brother Gary and his family late Christmas eve, I was once again reminded how much little children truly are treasures, and even (dare I say) good examples to follow. In Matthew 18:3, Christ himself says, "... Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven." To some, this could be a little confusing... which is one of the many reasons I am grateful for the Book of Mormon. Mosiah 3:19 lists some of the characteristics of little children: "... submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father." Reading through these characteristics, it makes total sense. Gary's son is 1 year old. Sitting there in the seat next to him, I was amazed and in awe of this little child. As I looked at his face a thought occured to me - he is so innocent and Christlike! For a moment, I saw a little piece of heaven and realized that just one year ago Ethan was with our Father in Heaven. I could tell Ethan was getting tired, but instead of being cranky he was being funny. Everytime I would look over at him, he'd grin at me. Watching him out of the corner of my eye, I could see him staring at me, waiting for me to turn my head so he could give me that cute grin complete with dimples... and people say adults are supposed to entertain children! Ethan had, in essence, reversed the game of peek-a-boo; but instead of him hiding his face, I would look away. Every time he smiled at me, I wondered what it was he saw in me and hoped I could live up to that. It seemed almost as if I were looking into the face of Christ, and He was smiling at me.

1 comment:

  1. i know when you are back from the mission you wil be ready to understand the follow :
    Eso que has puesto de mi hijo estuvo muy conmovedor y emotivo no fue sino hasta hoy nov 10 2009 que lo lei y aunque no me creas mi hijo aun se acuerda de ti y cuando ve fotos y estas tu dice tu nombre aun sin haberte visto por tant tiempo pues algo magico tienes con los ninos para que te recuerden..

    ReplyDelete