Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas miracles

This year for Christmas my ward decided to do our own little "Sub for Santa" for some families. We went out and bought lots of groceries and had a blast wrapping presents for the children in these families. Last night those of us who were still here in Logan "delivered Christmas" for family home evening. At each stop we all went to the door and sang "We wish you a Merry Christmas", after which we paraded into the house with groceries and presents in hand. To me, the first stop was just a lot of fun because I finally got to go caroling. At the second stop, though, it finally hit me. I was leading the parade to the kitchen with the groceries. Walking through the front room I noticed a tiny, almost "Charlie Brown" Christmas tree. It was slightly fuller than one.. you know the type: maybe two feet tall, the kind a lot of college students would have in their own bedroom. Underneath the tree was probably the only Christmas they were expecting this year, couldn't have been more than 5 tiny gifts. Being the first one back into the front room, I played with the cute baby whose play pen was a laundry basket lined with a blanket and a pillow. As I watched the 1st counselor in the bishopric speak to the father, I could see this father on the verge of tears. We took them by total surprise and delivered a Christmas to remember. The look on his face as we all squeezed into the small front room was priceless. As we all left the house, I truly felt the spirit of what we were doing. Holding back my own tears I said a silent prayer to thank Heavenly Father for directing us to this family - a family of my spirit brothers and sisters who clearly needed help this Christmas. May we all find the joy of serving others, especially this time of year.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you had such a wonderful experience. It seems to me that Christmas time reminds all of us of what is really important. Congratulations on your blog!

    ReplyDelete