Thursday, December 25, 2008

Music of the Heart

Scientists speculate that Einstein used more of his brain than the average human, resulting in his superior intelligence. I believe that extremely talented musicians have a similar phenomenon. I know this isn't scientifically accurate, but humor me and perhaps you will agree. I truly believe that musicians use more of their heart. I was watching Andrea Bocelli on KBYU tonight when I first realized this. I hadn't really thought about it until I saw him singing with his eyes closed. This amazing musician was born with Glaucoma, and as a result is now blind. Although I do not personally know him I like to imagine that when he is on stage, he sings for himself and perhaps his family. When you can't see the people you are singing to, you are able to forget you are really singing for someone and pour your heart and soul into it. Whenever I listen to music and really want to enjoy it, I close my eyes. The moment you stop trying to see is the moment you are free to feel. Music has a much more profound impact on your life when you actually feel it. One song in particular comes to mind: Meditation from Thais. When I close my eyes and drift off to that little place where I no longer have a care in the world, I can feel the music in my heart. When you watch a singer perform live, how often and when do they close their eyes? It's generally at a climax or a part that is supposed to be FELT, not just heard. It is then that they are drawing added measure from within the heart. I would like to invite you to close your eyes and listen... listen with your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment